Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

The Federal Voting Assistance Program website is your one-stop-shop for complete voting information: You can register to vote, update your contact information or find out about voting regulations in your state there.

Additional information about voting overseas is available on the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs public voting website.

The Voting Assistance Officer at the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Djibouti is available to answer questions about absentee voting.  To contact the Voting Assistance Officer, call the Consular Section Sundays-Thursdays, 12:30 - 16:00, at (+253) 21-453-000, or send an e-mail to or to

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q:  How soon can I send in my Voter Registration Card?  Now?
A:  We recommend sending in your completed Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) on or after January 1st of each year, and every time you change your name, mailing address, or email address. 

Q:  I plan to vote absentee from abroad in the primary elections, but will be back in the United States for the November general elections?  Do I have to do anything special?
A:  When you fill out your FPCA, include a note to your local election officials that you’ll be returning to the United States on xxx date.  Once you are back home, contact your local election officials to confirm your new U.S. address and your intention to vote in the United States.

Q:  I’m a U.S. citizen but I’ve never lived in the United States.  Can I vote?
A:  Each state has its own residency requirements relating to voter eligibility.  Some states allow voters who have never lived in the United States to use their parents’ state of voting residence.  It’s best to get in touch with local election officials in the place where your parents last lived, or the place where you have visited frequently, to find out if you are eligible to register to vote.  FVAP’s Voting Assistance Guide will have a section titled Voting by Citizens Who Have Never Lived in the U.S. if the state has passed laws allowing these citizens to vote.  The Embassy voting assistance officer can help you get in touch with local election officials.

Q:  I haven’t lived in the United States for a long time, and don’t know what our address was?  Can I vote in any state?  What do I do?
A:  All voting in the United States is based on your residency.  Normally, you’d use the address where you last lived before leaving the United States, even if it was a very long time ago.  Someone in your family may have old letters which contain an address.  You can also check medical, church, school, or property records, or write to the Social Security Administration.   

Q:  What effect does voting have on my U.S. taxes? 
A:  U.S. citizens have an obligation to file federal tax returns wherever they live.  Voting for candidates for federal offices does not affect your federal or state tax liability.  Voting for candidates for state or local offices could affect your state tax liability.  Consult legal counsel if you have questions.

Voting Timeline

  • Living overseas? Voting is Easier than Ever!

    -      Every January: (or when you change your contact information) renew your voter registration by visiting

    -      45 days before an election: Your state sends you an absentee ballot by your method of choice. A 2009 law required states to provide electronic ballot delivery options to all absentee voters. This means you can receive your ballot by email, fax or download, fill it out and mail it in. You can still receive your ballot in paper format, but that option is much slower.

    -      30 days before an election: Return your ballot to the Consular Section at the Embassy and we’ll send it back to the U.S. for you via diplomatic pouch!