Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Passports Abroad

Tourist Passports: First-time and Renewal

All passport services are by appointment only. Make an appointment by selecting the requested service at:

Due to the high demand for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA), we are required to occasionally suspend opening new CRBA appointments until we are closer in time to the appointment date. However, we continue to process CRBAs without appointments alongside immigrant visa applications. Simply bring the child and applicable forms and fees to your spouse's immigrant visa appointment, and the visa and CRBA will be processed concurrently.

There is no need to make a separate CRBA appointment, and this may possibly result in the U.S. citizen parent coming to Djibouti before we can finalize all visa and passport cases for a family. In addition, we will not finalize a CRBA for a minor child unless a parent or custodian with a valid U.S. travel document is intending to return to the United States with the child upon immediate receipt of the child's CRBA and passport.

We strongly recommend against the use of appointment agents, and those who do run the risk of having an appointment cancelled without recourse. In addition, we will not tolerate the resale of our appointments, and applicants are advised that all appointments can be booked without charge. Fees are only collected during an actual appointment at the Embassy, and any fees paid to third parties will not guarantee a consular service.

Please follow the instructions below when making a CRBA appointment:

  • If you are a U.S. citizen parent applying for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), then please include your U.S. passport number after the child's surname:

Example: SMITH / #12345678

  • If you are a parent with multiple children needing both Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and passports, make ONE appointment for a CRBA by entering the U.S. citizen parent's name instead of the child's in the surname box and number of children:

Example: SMITH / #12345678 / 5 children

  • If you are a U.S. citizen parent with adult child(ren) (older than age 18), follow the above CRBA instructions for requesting a first-time adult passport. If the U.S. citizen parent is no longer alive, the adult child(ren) must still include the last U.S. passport or naturalization number of the deceased U.S. citizen parent as indicated above.

The U.S. parent transmitting citizenship MUST be present for a CRBA application; however, a DS-3053 may be used in the parent's absence for a child's passport renewal only, provided it has been notarized by a public notary in the United States or a consular officer abroad.

Any exceptions to this policy must first be requested in writing by sending an e-mail to Exceptions are rarely granted due to the current, large demand for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad and first-time passports.

Click here for help on completing passport forms.

Click here for help on applying for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

Payment can be made in cash (U.S. Dollars or Djiboutian Francs) or by credit card. The average passport processing time is a week to ten business days. If you have questions regarding the status of your passport or CRBA, please e-mail


Official Passports

Official Passports are not issued to every government employee – they are tied to a specific assignment and must be relinquished at the end of an assignment.  Additional documentation is required to demonstrate that your assignment requires an official passport including:

  • Copy of your APACS travel orders
  • A completed and signed (in blue ink) DD-1056 form by your unit commander or government supervisor
  • Passport application (DS-82 if you have an existing passport in your current possession; DS-11 for all others)


Camp Lemonnier Passport Acceptance

Consular staff visit Camp Lemonnier and are located at CJTF-HOA, Building 102, every Thursday from 0900 to 1000 to accept passport applications and answer questions. For any tourist passport, you must have the exact fee of 135 USD for a DS-11 or 110 USD for a DS-82. Tourist cards are an additional 30 USD. No change can be provided.

You will be informed by email when your passport is complete (2 weeks for tourist passports; 10-12 weeks for official passports). You can then pick up the passport from CJTF-HOA, Building 102, the Thursday following this e-mail.

If you have questions regarding the status of your tourist passport or card, please e-mail For all other official passport status inquiries inlcluding expedite requests, please e-mail or call DSN 865-0003/0004 (EST). 

Emergency Contact

  • Thread

    In the event of an arrest, death, medical or other emergency involving a U.S. citizen in Djibouti, contact the Embassy immediately at (+253) 21-453-000 during business hours or (+253) 77-877-229 after hours. You may also contact the Bureau of Consular Services in Washington, DC, toll free, at 1-888-404-4747 from the U.S. or Canada or using the toll-line at 1-202-501-4444. 

    These contact numbers are for U.S. Citizen Emergencies ONLY. They are not for visa inquiries.

    To contact the Government of Djibouti's Emergency Assistance Services you can dial the following from a local phone (Services offered in French):
    . Police - 17
    . Firefighters/Ambulance - 18
    . Hopital Général Peltier - 21-35.09.62 / 21-35.27.12 (switchboard)
    . Force Armée Djiboutienne - 21-35.03.45
    . Djibouti Telecom Information Desk - 12

    To contact the private French Military Hospital (Bouffard)
     you can dial the following from a local phone (Services offered in French):
    . Emergency service - 21-45.01.15
    . Reception / Billing office - 21-45.04.47 (Business hours only - Sat-Thu, 06:30-13:00)