Messages for U.S. Citizens
Important: Please read the Djibouti Travel Warning (June 8, 2014).
- Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Security Update and Precautions During Djiboutian Independence Celebrations (June 25, 2014)
- Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Security Precautions During the 2014 World Cup (June 19, 2014)
- Message for U.S. Citizens: Updated Security Recommendations (May 29, 2014)
- Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Restriction of Movement (May 27, 2014)
- Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Bombing in Menelik Square (May 24, 2014)
In the event of an arrest, death, medical or other emergency involving a U.S. citizen in Djibouti, contact the Embassy immediately at (+253) 21-453-000 during business hours or (+253) 77-877-229 after hours. You may also contact the Bureau of Consular Services in Washington, DC, toll free, at 1-888-404-4747 from the U.S. or Canada or using the toll-line at 1-202-501-4444.
These contact numbers are for U.S. Citizen Emergencies ONLY. They are not for visa inquiries.
To contact the Government of Djibouti's Emergency Assistance Services you can dial the following from a local phone (Services offered in French):
. Police - 17
. Firefighters/Ambulance - 18
. Hopital Général Peltier - 21-35.09.62 / 21-35.27.12 (switchboard)
. Force Armée Djiboutienne - 21-35.03.45
. Djibouti Telecom Information Desk - 12
To contact the private French Military Hospital (Bouffard) you can dial the following from a local phone (Services offered in French):
. Emergency service - 21-45.01.15
. Reception / Billing office - 21-45.04.47 (Business hours only - Sat-Thu, 06:30-13:00)