Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Birth Abroad

The U.S. Embassy in Djibouti strongly encourages all U.S. citizens who have children born in its consular district to report the birth as soon as possible.  Children born abroad to U.S. citizen parents may have a claim to U.S. citizenship.

To document your child, you must file an application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). This will serve as an official record confirming that the child acquired U.S. citizenship at birth. Your child must appear in person. It is not possible to obtain a CRBA for a child over the age of 18. It is not necessary for the U.S. citizen parent to appear at the embassy, however if the parent does not appear, all application documents must be notarized by a U.S. notary.


  • Payment for CRBA processing must be made in cash.  Both U.S. Dollars and Djiboutian Francs are accepted.
  • We do not have mail-in/mail-out services. All applicants must apply in person for CRBAs.

Process to obtain a CRBA for your child

1.  Before contacting the Consular Section, please review the Bureau of Consular Affairs' Department of State guidance.

2. Review the Djiboutian Consular section check list.

3. Schedule an appointment by sending an email to

Note – Due to the prevalence of fraudulent documents, the Consular Officer may suggest, in addition to documents submitted, a DNA test between the child and the U.S. citizen parent(s).

Warning: We do not accept privately conducted DNA tests.  All tests must be completed with written guidance from U.S. Embassy Djibouti Consular Section.

Adobe Reader

  • Adobe logo

    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.